The best fishing backpacks are tailored to your preferred fishing approach. You may need a tackle box with many compartments if you spin fish or use baitcasting rods since you’ll be throwing big lures. A fisherman is shown with his waterproof fishing backpack beside a river.
You can go a long way while carrying your fishing gear and a meal in a backpack made specifically for the sport.
An angler with a lot of experience has a lot of options, and those who specialize in fly fishing have even more choices. Why? Most fly anglers are very mobile on the rivers they fish. Because they walk so much, they need a high-quality, well-padded fishing backpack to carry their gear.
Some of the best fly fishing backpacks are also fishing backpacks. Even so, there are a few distinct categories of fishing backpacks to consider. Even though the finest fishing backpacks are designed with fly fishermen in mind, they have features that anglers of all stripes will find helpful.
These non-waterproof fishing backpacks are well-designed for storing all of your stuff. They are equipped with several compartments and attaching points for fishing gear. All-time favorites include the following:
- Best Tackle Fishing Backpacks
- Best Waterproof Backpacks For Fly Fishing
- Different Types Of Fly Fishing Backpacks
Best Tackle Fishing Backpacks
What are tackle fishing backpacks? They are backpacks made to hold many lures, flies, and other fish enticements. Most fishing tackle backpacks have extra, removable utility boxes. These boxes help keep items organized, and you can switch out utility boxes for different fishing trips.
The Allen Gunnison Switch Pack is a backpack for fly fishing that can be turned into a sling pack at a reasonable price. The Gunnison Switch Pack is a lot like most of Allen’s fishing gear in that it has a lot of features and an excellent price-to-value ratio.
The main storage area of the pack can be reached from both sides thanks to a full-length zipper. All vertical inside pockets may be opened from either side, making them ideal for a wide variety of containers and equipment.
The internal pockets for your keys, phone, and camera are watertight. In contrast, the outside pockets may hold rod tubes or water bottles. The pack also has buckles on the front and back for adding Allen chest packs. You may customize the fit of your raincoat or waders using the included straps.
The Wild River Tackle Tek Recon Fishing Tackle Backpack has an LED lighting system that lets you look through your fishing gear, even when it’s dark or dim. This fishing bag has four trays with beautifully structured pockets to organize your gear. Large adjustable shoulder straps with cushioning make it easier to carry, particularly on treks. This fishing gear backpack has LED lights and a clear pocket where you can put your maps and permits, making them easy to see and safe. The rain cover on this four-tray fishing backpack makes it a reliable way to keep your gear dry even when it’s raining.
Wild River is a smaller version of the Wild River Nomad and can travel anywhere. It has an integrated LED light system that lets you see it in your backpack or on your work table after the sun goes down. It also has a holder for your pliers that you can take off and a lanyard that you can pull out and put back in. The Recon can store up to four 3500-series trays.
- Large upper storage area with removable divider
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps with added sternum for better comfort and fit
- The front pocket cover folds to provide a handy work surface on this Wild River tackle backpack.
- A clear internal pocket keeps your valuables dry.
- Lower tray compartment for storage of up to four #3600 style trays
The Spiderwire Fishing Backpack is great for anglers who have to walk a long way to get to their spot and need ease of use, comfort, and storage. The top compartment is for personal items, the middle compartment is a cooler to keep your food, drinks, and baits cold, and the bottom compartment is for utility boxes to keep all your gear for a day on the water safe and secure.
The backpack can hold three medium utility compartments and has an organizer compartment, zippered side pockets, a fishing tool holder, a sunglass case, and a flat bottom to stand up straight. It is available with or without three medium utility boxes.
The main compartment can be changed and split into three separate rooms. Use the top compartment to store your things. The middle cooler keeps drinks, food, and lures cool. Boxes are in the lower compartment. The main compartment is easy to get to from the front and the top.
The advanced organizer pocket keeps your stuff in order. Left and right zippered pockets for small items. Both sides of the bag have holders for fishing tools that can be taken off. The inside of the case is soft and made of foam, making it an excellent way to carry fishing rods. The fishing backpack can stand up thanks to its flat bottom.
- 100% polyester
- Includes 3 Medium Utility Boxes
- Fishing Rod Holder/Carry System
- Advanced Organizer Compartment keeps your gear Sorted
- Foam Molded Sunglass Case with Soft Linning
- Adjustable Main Compartment Divided into 3 Separate Inner Compartments
The Shimano Blackmoon Fishing Backpack has a lot more rugged construction than other fishing backpacks and many different compartments. The zip-down panel with four Plano utility boxes for serious tackle organization is the best part, but there are other places to store gear, like a side pocket with a small hole for easy access to a fishing line spool.
Shimano Blackmoon Backpacks come in two styles, each made to fit the needs of fishermen and store gear for the next fishing trip in a neat way. These all-in-one bags are made with high-quality materials, reinforced double-stitched seams, and zippers that won’t rust. They have places for reels, terminal gear, lures, line, and tools. The Blackmoon FR (Front Load) has a front flap that drops down to give anglers access to four 3600-size tackle trays. This makes it easy to store terminal gear and lures.
This drop-down compartment has side zippers to keep it closed while traveling, but once you get to the fishing spot, you can use the Velcro to close it and get to the tackle trays quickly. The extra storage above the trays is suitable for reels, tools, or personal items, while the side pockets are ideal for fast access to leader material and pliers. The Blackmoon TP (Top Load) has three 3700-size tackle trays in a large central compartment. The front pocket is easy to get to and has a Velcro back wall with four tackle bags that can be taken off and used to store soft plastics, tools, or terminal tackle.
- Heavy TPU Corrosion-Resistant Zippers
- Heavy Denier Rip-stop Polyester Fabric
- Reinforced Double-Stitched Seams
- Two Models: Front Load (FR) and Top Load (TP)
Robust and Water Resistant – The KastKing Day Tripper Tackle Bag is built of rigid 420D rip-stop nylon material for excellent long-term durability and dependability. A hydrophobic coating repels moisture from the exterior, while a PVC layer on the inside adds further protection to keep your gear safe from the weather.
- Rod & Tool Storage — Keep your hands free with two-rod pockets. Place the rod butt or second part of a 2-piece rod in the bag and attach it with the bungee loops. Built-in D-rings hold tools or line cutters.
- The KastKing Day Tripper Tackle Bag is crafted from 420D rip-stop nylon for long-term durability. A hydrophobic coating repels moisture from the exterior, while a PVC layer on the interior adds added protection.
- The Day Tripper organizes tackle. Slide up to (4) 3600 utility boxes (not included) into the side zipped pocket. Zip off the fake bottom to create one huge open compartment for rain gear, lunch, fishing equipment, or extra tackle bags. Two front slash and waist strap pockets hold line, pliers, soft baits, and other small equipment.
- Fish in style with the KastKing Day Tripper’s versatile fishing tackle storage. This lightweight backpack was intended to carry rods, soft plastics, lures, terminal gear, and fishing tools for a day of fishing on a friend’s boat or a trip to a secluded pond or river. 21.25″ x 13.4″ x 9.25″
- Padded back cushion, waist strap, and shoulder strap prevent fishing fatigue. The fleece-lined top pocket protects glasses. KastKing Day Tripper Backpack and tackle storage system is useful and durable.
Three Plano 3600 Series StowAway Utility Boxes are included with the Plano E-Series 3600 Tackle Backpack. In low-light conditions, you will have an easier time locating your fishing gear thanks to the bright inside of the bag. Note: For a product with a similar design but a more affordable price range, consider the Plano Weekend Series Backpack Tackle Bag. Instead of three Plano utility boxes, it only comes with two.
Anglers who want all their gear to be easy to get to without any trouble will like how this modern tackle backpack is more flexible and easy to move around. Thanks to the breathable air mesh straps and the cushioned back cushion, you won’t have any trouble packing up your fishing gear.
The pack includes an exterior that is both hardy and resistant to water. Straps made of air mesh, a cushioned back cushion compartment made of mesh both on the inside and outside, and a padded felt pocket that can hold sunglasses or a mobile phone. Interior illumination for enhanced readability in low light conditions is compatible with the hydration system.
- Durable, water-resistant exterior | Includes three 3600 Series StowAway Utility Boxes | Black | 12.6″L x 17.7″W x 7.1″H
- Air mesh straps and cushioned back cushion | Interior and exterior mesh pockets
- Soft felt pocket for sunglasses or mobile phone
- Bright interior for low-light visibility | Hydration compatible
- Great for pier, stream, and paddle board fishing
The Tek Recon from Wild RiverTackle is a small, lightweight backpack. The Tackle Tek Nomad Recon is a scaled-down version of the Tackle Tek Nomad with an integrated LED light system that can be used to highlight the pack’s contents or illuminate a work area.
A detachable pliers holder, a retractable lanyard, web loops to store tools, mesh pockets, a transparent interior pocket, and big, adjustable, cushioned shoulder straps for enhanced comfort are all included. Up to four 3500 tackle trays or two 3600 tackle trays may be stored in the Recon Backpack (not included). Imported.
- An Integrated LED light system is ideal for night fishing
- Select from high or low-level white LED or a green LED light setting
- 2 AAA batteries included
- Removable pliers holder
- Removable, retractable lanyard
- Clear internal pocket
- Web loops
- Mesh pockets
- Adjustable padded shoulder straps
- 13″W x 16-1/2″H x 6-3/4″D
- Weight: 3.15 lbs.
Best Waterproof Backpacks For Fly Fishing
All of the very top fly fishing gear companies provide waterproof fishing backpacks, and each and every one of these backpacks are of very high quality. You should know that a waterproof backpack is an investment since these are made to last for a long time. Because of how high-quality all of these bags are, any one of them might easily take the top spot on anybody else’s list of the best backpacks.
The Fishpond Thunderhead Submersible Backpack keeps our things secure and, most of all – dry!
The Thunderhead has a TPU-coated NewStream structure that is very strong and waterproof. This structure works with a TIZIP closure to make a good seal even when fully submerged. Because of the rigidity, you may need both hands to open the zippers. This might make getting gear in a pinch a little tricky.
The vertical adjustment on the shoulder harness system lets you change how it fits and feels, and the optional hip belt gives you even more options. In addition, fly boxes, equipment, and tools are easy to get to on the river because of the Hypalon connection points and different pockets.
The Fishpond Thunderhead Submersible Backpack is an exceptionally durable and well-constructed waterproof fishing backpack. As with most waterproof fishing backpacks, Fishpond’s exterior compartments are minimal at best: a tiny pocket on the back (also known as the front of a pack) and a D-ring and daisy chain for connecting accessories.
Additionally, Fishpond includes two-rod tube straps. Each side of the detachable hip belt features a strap for attaching pliers or a pocket. The Fishpond Submersible Backpack’s overall workmanship is exceptional, and it’s quite attractive. Lastly, Fishpond provides a roll-top waterproof fishing backpack that is equally good, but the fabric could be more robust.
- Twenty-eight liters of capacity enhanced with a variety of pockets.
- Recycled nylon is used to produce a robust, waterproof material
- Waterproof zippers keep rain and river water out. Lariat gear straps are offered for additional possibilities.
- Attachment points made of Hypalon for two-way radios or GPS systems
- Adjustable and detachable lumbar support strap increases adaptability.
The Skog Å Kust BackSåk Pro is waterproof thanks to its TPU coating, welded seams, and roll-down top made from heavy-duty 420-denier Ripstop Nylon. The 35-liter capacity means you can bring everything you need for a full day of fly fishing and then some.
The exterior front pocket of the Skog Å Kust BackSåk Pro is airtight and waterproof, providing IPX-7 protection for fragile items like a phone or camera.
The BackSk Pro’s inside is well-organized and versatile. The pack includes a dedicated laptop space if you want to get more use for an everyday backpack.
It also includes a sizable zippered pocket, a slip pocket made of elastic mesh, and an accessory clip to hold keys, nippers, or anything else securely. Elastic side pockets are a great place to stash a water bottle, extra line, glasses, or another layer of clothing.
The white TPU lining on the interior of the BackSk Pro makes it easy to see what’s inside in low-light conditions. Speaking of low light, the exterior is reflective to increase visibility when it gets dark.
- Heat-taped seams and 420 Denier Rip Stop Nylon Water, sand, and dust are blocked.
- 2.3 lbs.
- The main compartments are shut with roll-down and clip and are IPX-6 waterproof.
- Comfortable EVA foam back with cushioned adjustable straps
- Stethoscope strap
- Adjustable waist strap
- Splash-proof IPX-7 exterior pocket
- Laptop compartment, gigantic zippered pocket, elastic mesh slide pocket, and clip inside.
- The white TPU inside covering makes it easier to view your goods.
- Side elastic pockets are perfect for carrying a water bottle or other equipment.
- Duraflex clips, hardware
- Multiple D-rings make strapping your luggage down simple.
- Front and rear reflective components for low-light visibility
The YETI Panga Backpack 28 is an ultra-durable, waterproof backpack that performs as well on a stand-up paddle board or when trekking in the rain as it does for fishing. As with all YETI equipment, the Panga Backpack is constructed with an emphasis on durability.
The YETI Panga Submersible 28L Backpack is an airtight, waterproof fortress that combines the ruggedness of the YETI Panga Duffel with a time-tested backpack design. On a stroll, at the beach, on a boat, and in other places.
Beginning with the enormous waterproof zipper, it includes several distinguishing characteristics. The zipper extends along the backpack’s edges, making it easy to access the contents. Two sets of daisy chain links outside the pack may be used to attach accessories or a net.
YETI also incorporated three grab grips, one at the top and two on the sides. Having several grip points will make it easier to reach over other gear or obstructions to get your pack, whether stored deep within your vehicle, the bed of your truck, or in a boat. In addition, the side grab handles might be used as a point of attachment for a rod case or other equipment.
With the ergonomic comfort of DryHaul shoulder straps, you can transport essential items while keeping them dry. Everything inside is protected by the THICKSKIN SHELL, which is made of high-density nylon and thick TPU lamination for puncture- and abrasion resistance.
YETI also offers an inside sleeve for a laptop or tablet and a key-friendly mesh interior pocket. The waist belt is only a strap that may be readily removed if not required.
If you are looking for a little extra add-on waterproof storage, you can connect the YETI Sidekick Dry to the back of the Panga Backpack. This can be done using the previously mentioned daisy-chain grid attachment points.
- Hydrolok zipper makes sure water stays out, so your gear stays bone-dry, no matter how torrential it gets
- U-Dock – Terminal end of your HydroLok Zipper that ensures a completely airtight seal.
- Thickskin Shell – Made of high-density nylon and thick TPU lamination to be puncture- and abrasion-resistant
- Quickgrab lash points
- Dryhaul straps
- Stowaway mesh pockets
- Interior sleeve
- Removable chest strap and waist belt
The new Patagonia Guidewater Backpack 29L for 2023 replaces the Stormsurge Pack from a few years ago. We don’t want to leave behind our whole collection of flies, our lucky rain gear, or enough munchies for the day. Thankfully, the Guidewater Backpack is roomy enough for our worldly comforts and sturdy enough to get us to our favorite fishing place. Not only does its submersible structure keep our equipment and goods dry and secure, but its simple design also reduces the weight on our backs
The redesigned Guidewater keeps the same fundamental robust, fully-submersible design. The main waterproof zipper now has a larger opening to facilitate gear access. Patagonia replaces a tiny back pocket with webbing hooks intended to accommodate accessory bags for adjustable organizing. The main disadvantage is the absence of a cushioned hip belt, which we appreciate when carrying large loads and hiking long distances. In addition, if you do not want complete waterproofing, check out the new Patagonia Stealth Pack, which has a multitude of fishing compartments and accessory connectors.
- Minimalist fishing pack with generous capacity and durability
- Rugged recycled nylon with PU and TPU coating for reliable protection
- Rugged construction is rated IPX7: waterproof and fully submersible
- Sturdy materials rated for angling in both fresh and saltwater
- Mesh back panel and shoulder straps prevent moisture absorption
- The harness strap and waist belt add extra support for heavy loads.
- Included organizer secures internal and external lash points.
Simms Dry Creek Z Fishing Backpack
Another amazing waterproof fly fishing backpack, the Simms Dry Creek Z Fishing Backpack, is all new for 2022. At first sight, it seems comparable to the other offerings on the market; nonetheless, it distinguishes itself in several ways, beginning with the brand-new zipper.
The Dry Creek Z has a waterproof Tru Zip zipper with no teeth and is self-healing. This zipper offers complete protection even when submerged in water. You have excellent access to the spacious 35-liter inside, thanks, in part, to the angle and reach of the zipper. In its most recent iteration, Simms enhanced the support provided by the waist belt by adding connection points made of MOLLE webbing, which may be used to secure fishing equipment or smaller bags.
In addition, the waist belt may be removed if it is something other than desired. Additionally, two stretch water bottle compartments have been added to the sides of the pack for the year 2022. But hold on, there’s more; here it is: There is a compartment for a laptop inside this backpack, in case you wish to use it for anything more than simply fishing gear. The primary outside fabric has been upgraded to be more durable; it is now a 420D nylon double ripstop that has been coated with TPU.
- Rugged 300-denier polyester ripstop construction
- Polyurethane and TPU ensure submersible waterproof integrity
- TruZip self-healing zipper
- Roomy water-resistant pocket for quick-access items
- The centered net holster is easy to reach
- Hydration-reservoir compatible
- Integrated hook-and-loop patch
- Cam strap lash points
The Highwater Backpack is a 100% waterproof, submersible option for all terrain and fishing conditions. This 100% nylon pack has seam-welded construction, a double-sided TPU coating, and a totally waterproof TIZIP zipper. The 28L inside has compartments for a 15″ laptop, 12″ tablet, cameras, and fly boxes. This pack has plenty of outside cam straps and a stretch storage compartment. The Backpack’s 3D-embossed, compression-molded back panel adds strength and comfort.
This pack is a commuting bag when you’re not on the water. Interior sleeves accommodate a 15-inch laptop and a 12-inch tablet securely. Front mesh pockets contain smaller items. You can transfer stuff from urban jungles to hiking routes securely.
The Highwater Backpack is built for rough outdoor conditions. It’s waterproof, puncture-resistant, and abrasion-resistant. The padded, non-water-absorbing shoulder straps are comfortable when hauling a lot of weight. The adjustable waist belt makes lugging hefty loads effortlessly.
- This pack is made from 100% nylon with seam-welded construction.
- Double-sided TPU coating and a fully waterproof TIZIP zipper
- Pockets for a 15″ laptop, 12″ tablet
- Dimensions: 12″ W × 19″ H × 7.5″ D
- Weight: 3.25 LBS
- Capacity: 28 L
- Construction: 100% Waterproof Nylon & TIZIP Zipper
Different Types Of Fly Fishing Backpacks
Backpacks designed for fly fishing may also serve spin-fishing aficionados well. All fishing backpacks contain accessory connection points, and compartments meant to hold fly boxes, pliers, and other standard fly fishing equipment, but they can also accommodate bigger tackle boxes.
Still, if you’re searching for the greatest spin-fishing or bass-fishing backpacks, skip to our top hard-tackle-oriented spin-fishing and bass-fishing backpacks.
You have several alternatives if you’re seeking the finest fly fishing backpack and don’t mind high-quality packs made to be worn all day. Six fly fishing firms provide wonderful backpacks for fly fishermen. There is, however, one important feature that sets the best fishing backpack apart from the rest: it must be waterproof.
The main compartment of a waterproof fishing backpack consists of a huge waterproof compartment. This obviously allows you to fish in the rain without getting your gear or lunch wet, but it also allows you to wade deep without soaking your bag.
The disadvantage is the lack of additional exterior compartments and gear organization. The pockets on non-waterproof fly fishing backpacks are superior, and they’re generally simpler to use unless you plan to wade deep or fish in the rain.
Do You Really Need A “Waterproof” Fishing Backpack?
We like waterproof backpacks for our trips. Why? Simply put, it removes the extra worry. There is no need to fret about your fishing gear, gadgets, or even your lunch if you need to wade deep or if it begins to rain.
And, of course, the whole idea of stowing your fly fishing necessities in a backpack is so that they may be worn comfortably on your back and out of the way. Using it regularly isn’t the purpose.
Fly fishing hip packs, sling packs, and classic vests are all better options if you need quick access to your gear than a typical vest, but that’s still not the full story. The best fishing backpacks we’ve seen have a large main compartment and pockets on the chest pack or vest straps that can be reached from the front.
If you’re going to be fishing in the rain and you care about your gear, choose a waterproof fishing backpack.