Whether you are a veteran fly fisherman or just getting started, catching a fish is one of the most exciting experiences imaginable. Kick that feeling up a few notches if you reeled that big on in on your own hand-tied fly produced on a shiny new fly tying kit. Planning for success to capture that moment is what this review is all about. We’re talking about the best options for those well on their way and also the best fly tying kits for beginners. We looked at brands including Zephr, Orvis, WETFLY, Colorado Anglers, SF Fly Fishing, and Creative Angler.
In this review we have included everything from refined travel kits to more comprehensive fly tying kits including the necessities to get started. For some you may need to buy additional tools or materials, depending on the selection.
Now let’s get to it!
Best Overall Value
A fly tying kit doesn’t sacrifice quality to remain compact. It features 12 tools, a rotary vise, and a convenient, durable carrying case.
- Zephr Travel Fly Tying Kit w/ Travel Bag
- Deluxe Assortment of Tools and Vise
- EZ Rotary Vise included
- 12 Tools are included – hair stacker, two bobbins, rotating hackle pliers, two scissors, whip finishing tool, bodkin pick, bobbin threader, dubbing twister, tweezers. Vise with interchangeable base/clamp and carrying case.
- Quality and durable traveling bag.
Best Fly Tying Kit For Beginners
If you’re just getting started, this starter kit for beginners may be an ideal fit, featuring a variety of tools, materials, and easy-to-follow DVD directions.
- Deluxe Kit with Book and DVD
- Everything you need to start tying flies (Vice, scissors, hackle pliers, etc)
- This Deluxe Fly Tying Kit is very versatile, perfect for the beginner to the intermediate tier.
- High quality materials included (Hackle, dubbing, chenille, etc).
- Great gift idea.
Best For Travel
This kit by Colorado Anglers is Beautiful! This collection is excellent for work at home or in the field with a distinctive design. It comes with eight tools, and the clamp is built into the case for added stability.
- For Beginners and Pros: a kit with a built-in base, vise, and seven tools of high-grade material, all the essential equipment needed to make flies no matter how advanced you are.
- The standard combo includes eight tools: Vise with base, Bobbin, Threader, Bodkin, Dubbing Twister, Hackle Pliers, Scissors, Whip Finisher, all in a nice convenient wooden carrying case.
- Perfect starter kit or travelers kit. It is very compact and lightweight. It has all the tools necessary to get into fly tying. With its sturdy case, this kit can be thrown in a backpack and taken on a road trip or backpacking trip.
- Use It Anywhere: the built-in base keeps the vise sturdy and means this portable set can be used anywhere without having to clip the vise onto something. While you work, you have all of the tools you need right by your side.
Best Minimal Kit
If you’re in need of a solid toolset, this classic seIf you require a solid, no-nonsense toolset, this classic seven-piece array will do the trick. It comes in a compact carrying case with every implement you need to craft a nymph or bugger. It zips up tight for easy transport when the work is done.
- Classic Set: 7-piece knotted set, each individual tool has its own use, combines both reality and classic element.
- Appearance: the case of the fly tying kit is black with contrasting hue of the interior red color adds the beauty. The built-in red flannel never scratch the knotter.
- Protection: the built-in elastic strip of the knot tying kit fixes the knotters to a certain extent, protecting the knot kits from shaking even in a bumpy truck.
- Function: featured hook-shaped sharpener, wire cutter, clamp eye cleaner / knot knotter and knotter combination, D-ring for easy connection.
- Service: SF, dedicated to provide best quality and service for anglers who love fishing, has specialized in fishing tackle supplies 5 years. Any question, please feel free to contact us. We are honorable to support you
Best For Home Use
An excellent for home use. It comes with a satisfying self-contained wooden drawer to keep things tidy when you are done working. The kit has everything you would need, from gear to furs to a c-clamp rotary vise. Excellent for small spaces without sacrificing much.
- Wooden Fly Tying Station with Tools and Materials
- Great Station to hold your tools and materials
- Includes 11 Tools.
- Includes Fly Tying Materials and Book
- Light weight
The Orvis fly tying kit provides classic, easy-to-learn, and proven fly patterns. It is an easy starter kit with 16 patterns, 10 flies each, for a total of 160 flies. Orvis included a DVD with tutorials for patterns and basic tool instructions. The video is made by Tim Flagler, considered to be one of the best fly tying videographers around.